Sunday, July 30, 2006

The cut that wouldn't heal

Over a week ago I cut myself while trying to slice a bagel. I sliced the bagel and my hand. Quite badly too. I was lucky I didn't cut into my hand any farther than I did. I received seven stitches and was on my way. The cut appeared to heal fine and I didn't have any problems with it.

So, I had my stitches removed today and my cut hasn't healed all the way. It totally looked like it had, but once the stitches were out, the skin just totally separated. It's certainly not a deep cut anymore, but after nine days, it is still an open wound.

My body reacted this way 15 years ago when I had a small mole removed on my back, I developed this weird football shaped scar. I'm thinking that's going to happen to my hand too. So, now in an effot to get my skin to grow together, I have my whole hand wrapped. Maybe restricting movement will help? Typing sans your thumb is tough. Thank goodness I'm taking most of tomorrow off.

I'm just praying I don't have to have a c-section someday. Can you imagine the scar and how long it'd take to heal? Ugh. At least I'm not squimish around blood and guts. I've got one thing going for me.

No comments: